Making the perfect cup of pour over coffee is an art, one that requires a careful selection of beans to ensure the flavor meets your desired preferences. From light and bright flavors to rich and earthy options, there are many different types of beans on the market for crafting delicious Pour Over Coffee drinks. While it can be challenging to narrow down which type is best for you, this article will help simplify the process by reviewing our top 5 picks for the best Pour Over Coffee Beans available today. With roasts from all around the world, we’re sure to have something that suits both beginner-level brewers and experienced aficionados alike! Read on to find out more about our favorite pour-over coffees and why they made it onto this list!
What is Pour Over Method?
The pour over coffee brewing method has been gaining popularity among coffee enthusiasts in recent years. It involves pouring hot water over ground coffee beans that are placed in a filter basket, which sits on top of a carafe or mug. The process allows for greater control over the extraction of flavors and aromas from the coffee grounds, resulting in a clean and nuanced cup of coffee.
To begin, freshly roasted and ground coffee is typically weighed out to ensure consistency between brews. Hot water heated to just below boiling point is then poured slowly over the grounds with a steady hand, allowing them to bloom before continuing to add more water until all the desired liquid has passed through.
This method requires patience but rewards those who take their time with rich flavor profiles that can vary depending on factors such as bean origin, roast level, grind size, and water temperature.
What sets this approach apart from other methods like drip machines or pod systems is its simplicity and flexibility – it can be done at home with minimal equipment or in specialty cafes where baristas can experiment with different techniques to create unique blends for discerning customers seeking something beyond traditional espresso-based drinks.
What Makes A Good Coffee Bean For Pour-over Brewing?
Choose Right Roast : Medium and light roasts are ideal for pour-over brewing, as the extra time during the extraction process will bring out any nuances in the cup. Dark roasts may make your coffee bitter due to overextraction and can overpower more delicate flavors.
Grind Size : A medium-coarse grind size is best for pour-over brewing, as this will allow for slower extraction and more even water flow. If the grinds are too fine, you may end up with a bitter cup of coffee due to overextraction.
Freshness Matters: Freshly roasted beans are the key to making a flavorful cup of coffee. Look for roasters that indicate when they roasted their beans so you can ensure you’re getting the best flavor possible.
Top 5 Best Pour Over Coffee Beans in 2023
1. Volcanica Coffee- Colombian Geisha Coffee
- Roast: Light
- Tasting Notes: Perfect balance between acidity and sweetness, with flavor notes of flowers, tropical fruits, and apple jacks.
- Origin: Huila region in Colombia
- Caffeine Level: Medium
- Certification: Certified organic and Fair Trade.
Get ready to experience a coffee like no other with Volcanica Coffee’s Colombian Geisha Coffee! Sourced from the Huila region, this micro-lot single origin coffee is the ultimate treat for coffee lovers who crave an unforgettable taste experience.
Certified by the highest standards, this coffee is grown by smallholder farms in the Huilan region, assuring the best quality beans harvested at the perfect conditions. The altitude of 1500-1900 meters, along with a natural sun-dry process, guarantees the beans are packed with flavor.
Brewing a cup of Colombian Geisha Coffee is an experience you won’t forget. The light roast brings out the perfect balance between acidity and sweetness, with flavor notes of flowers, tropical fruits, and apple jacks. The natural process takes the flavor profile a step higher, giving a unique taste that you won’t find anywhere else.
The pH level of 5.1 makes this coffee gentle on your stomach, so you can savor every sip without any discomfort. Colombian Geisha Coffee is perfect for those who are looking for a high-quality coffee that is not only delicious but also easy on their digestive system.
Volcanica Coffee’s Colombian Geisha Coffee is a perfect choice for coffee lovers who value uniqueness and quality. The natural process and the high altitude of the beans give this coffee a distinctive taste that is unmatched by any other coffee in the market.
2. Life Boost – Optimist Light Roast
- Roast: Light
- Tasting Notes: Bright and acidic tasting notes with hints of fruit, citrus, and honey.
- Origin: Single-origin Arabica beans from Costa Rica.
- Caffeine Level: 95-150mg per 8oz cup.
- Certification: USDA
Are you tired of drinking bland and mediocre coffee every day? Do you want to enjoy a unique and flavorful coffee experience? If yes, then Life Boost Optimist Light Roast is the perfect choice for you. Our coffee beans are carefully hand-picked, spring water washed, and sun-dried to ensure the highest quality and authenticity of flavor notes.
Our light roast coffee selection features a bright and ever-so-slightly more acidic taste, which allows you to savor the true and original flavor notes of our premium Lifeboost coffee beans. With every sip, you will experience a burst of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more.
We understand the importance of freshness when it comes to coffee, and that’s why we freshly roast each time you order. This ensures that you get the freshest and most aromatic coffee possible. Additionally, our coffee is 3rd party tested for mycotoxins, heavy metals, pesticides, and over 400 other toxins, ensuring that you get a pure and safe cup of coffee every time.
Our coffee beans are grown in the shade of the mountains, providing the perfect environment for them to mature and develop their unique flavor profiles. We believe in fair trade and source our coffee beans directly from farmers, ensuring that they are paid a fair price for their hard work.
Our single-origin, 100% Arabica beans have an average pH of 5.1 – 5.8, making it the perfect choice for those with acidic sensitivities. With caffeine levels ranging from 95-150mg per 8oz cup, our light roast coffee will provide you with the perfect amount of energy to get through your day.
Lastly, we are proud to be USDA approved, ensuring that our coffee beans meet strict quality standards. In summary, Life Boost Optimist Light Roast is a high-quality, flavorful, and authentic coffee that will elevate your coffee experience to the next level. Try it today and join the ranks of satisfied coffee lovers who have made the switch to Life Boost.
3. KOA Coffee – Private Reserve Medium Roast Whole Bean 100% Ka’u Coffee
- Roast: Medium
- Tasting Notes: Low acidity with hints of citrus and jasmine, as well as subtle notes of brown sugar, currants, and spices.
- Origin: Ka’u region of Hawaii’s Big Island.
- Caffeine Level: Moderate, for a balanced cup that won’t overpower.
- Certification: Certified organic and Fair Trade.
At KOA Coffee, we are proud to present our Ka’u Private Reserve Medium Roast Whole Bean 100% Ka’u Coffee. Made with beans from the Ka’u region of Hawaii’s Big Island, no other coffee offers a more unique flavor blend than this one. With low acidity and syrupy mouthfeel, you can also taste notes of citrus and jasmine as well as subtle hints of brown sugar, currants, and spices. This is an expertly roasted coffee that is truly special and unlike anything else you have ever tasted!
Grown on the slopes of Mauna Loa in what is one of the most unique micro-climates in the US, this small batch offering has been carefully sourced and roasted to ensure absolute freshness with every cup. With its smooth flavors and delicate finish, it makes a perfect addition to any kitchen counter or restaurant menu. So why wait? Try it yourself today and experience tropical flavors delivered right to your doorstep!
4. Illy Classico – Whole Bean Medium Roast
- Roast: Medium
- Tasting Notes: Seductive taste with gentle notes of jasmine and citrus
- Origin: Ethiopia
- Caffeine Level: Moderate
- Certification: Certified organic.
Experience the authentic taste of Ethiopia in every cup of Illy Classico – Whole Bean Medium Roast coffee. Sourced directly from the lush Yirgacheffe region of Ethiopia, these shade-grown and handpicked Arabica coffee beans are known for their delicate, seductive taste with gentle notes of jasmine and citrus – a true treat for coffee lovers.
Crafted to perfection by illy, a brand that has been synonymous with high-quality coffee for more than 80 years, these coffee beans are medium roasted to bring out the perfect balance of flavors and aromas.
Here are some of the key features and benefits of Illy Classico – Whole Bean Medium Roast:
– 100% Arabica coffee beans: Illy Classico is made from the finest Arabica coffee beans that are carefully selected to ensure superior quality and taste.
– Medium Roast: The beans are medium roasted to perfection to bring out the delicate flavors and aromas of the coffee while maintaining a well-balanced taste.
– Delicate and Aromatic: Illy Classico has a seductive taste with gentle notes of jasmine and citrus that lingers on the palate long after the last sip.
– Perfect for Espresso: The medium roast and 100% Arabica beans make Illy Classico ideal for espresso, delivering a rich and creamy crema, with a full, velvety body.
Illy Classico – Whole Bean Medium Roast is the perfect choice for coffee lovers who want to experience the authentic taste of Ethiopia in every cup. Enjoy the perfect cup of coffee every time with Illy Classico – Whole Bean Medium Roast.
5. HAWAIIAN LION 24K Gold Roast 100% Kona COFFEE
Experience the rich and unique taste of Hawaiian coffee with HAWAIIAN LION 24K Gold Roast 100% Kona Coffee. This premium grade coffee is made from handpicked Arabica beans that are grown in the slopes of Mauna Loa Volcano in Hawaii’s Big Island.
These coffee beans are carefully roasted using the latest Japanese roasting technology to ensure maximum flavor and aroma. The result is a smooth and full-bodied coffee with notes of caramel, cocoa, and nuts that offer a unique taste experience you won’t find anywhere else.
HAWAIIAN LION 24K Gold Roast 100% Kona Coffee has a low acidity level and a pH of 6.0 which makes it gentle on your stomach. Enjoy your morning cup without any discomfort, with this premium grade coffee from Hawaiian Lion.
- Roast: Medium-Dark
- Tasting Notes: Caramel, cocoa, and nuts with a smooth full-bodied taste
- Origin: Big Island, Hawaii
- Caffeine Level: Moderate
- Certification: 100% Pure Kona Coffee.
- PH level: 6.0 for gentle digestion.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Coffee Beans:
1. Roast Level: The roast level of the beans can affect the flavor, aroma, and caffeine content of the coffee. Choose a roast that suits your taste and preference.
2. Origin: Different coffee beans come from different origins, each with its own unique flavor profile. Consider where the beans are sourced from when making your selection.
3. Grind Size: The grind size of the coffee beans can affect the strength and flavor of your coffee, so make sure to choose a grind size that suits your brewing method.
4. Certification: Look for certifications such as Fair Trade and organic when selecting coffee beans, to ensure you’re getting quality beans with sustainable production practices.
5. Price: Consider your budget when selecting coffee beans, to ensure you get a product that fits your needs and price point.
How to Store Coffee Beans for Maximum Freshness?
1. Store unopened coffee in a cool, dry place away from sunlight.
2. Once opened, store the beans in an airtight container and use within two weeks for best results.
3. For longer storage, refrigerate or freeze the beans to preserve freshness.
4. Avoid storing coffee near any strong-smelling products, as this can affect the flavor of your beans.
5. Use freshly ground coffee within 20 minutes of grinding for maximum freshness and optimal flavor.
6. If you have more coffee than you will use immediately, store it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to one month.
7. To maintain freshness, it’s best to buy your coffee in small quantities and only purchase what you will use within a short period of time.
8. It’s always a good idea to record the date you bought the beans for easy reference when tracking freshness.
How to Grind Coffee Beans for Pour Over?
1. Measure out the desired amount of coffee beans and place them in a burr grinder.
2. Adjust the grind size depending on your preference (finer for stronger cups, coarser for lighter cups).
3. Start grinding slowly at first and then increase speed until all beans are ground to a consistent size.
4. Make sure not to grind for too long, as over-grinding can cause the coffee to be bitter and lose its flavor.
5. Once you have achieved your desired grind size, transfer the coffee grounds into an airtight container or a pour over filter.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Cup of Pour-over Coffee:
1. Start with freshly ground beans and use filtered water if possible – these two elements will make all the difference in flavor.
2. Pre-heat your filter by running hot water through it before adding the coffee grounds, as this will help create a stronger extraction.
3. Use a thermometer to measure the temperature of your water, as this will impact the flavor and strength of the brew. Aim for between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. When pouring the water, begin from the center and slowly circle outward in small concentric circles to evenly saturate all the grounds.
5. Allow each pour to completely finish draining into the carafe before adding the next pour. Aim for a total brew time of 3-4 minutes.
6. Once brewing is complete, remove the filter and discard the grounds to prevent over extraction.
7. Serve your coffee immediately for best results. Enjoy!
What makes pour over coffee better?
Pour over coffee is considered to have a richer flavor and more balanced cup than traditional drip or press methods, as the manual process allows for more control over the brewing process. The slow extraction of pour-over ensures that all of the coffee’s natural oils and flavors are extracted from the beans, giving you a delicious cup every time.
How should beans be ground for pour over coffee?
The grind size for pour over coffee should be medium-fine, as this will give you a balanced cup with good extraction. Too coarse and under-extraction may occur, while too fine can cause bitter, over-extracted coffee. Experiment to find the ideal grind size that works best for your brewing method.
What is the best texture for pour over coffee?
While there is no single “right” answer, it’s generally recommended to use a medium-fine grind for pour over coffee. This will allow for the ideal extraction and flavor without being too coarse or too fine. Experiment with different grind sizes to find what works best for you.
How long to let pour over coffee bloom?
When you pour hot water over your coffee grounds, it’s important to let it sit for a few seconds – otherwise known as “blooming”. This allows the grounds to expand and release their oils, resulting in a better extraction and more flavorful cup. Allow at least 30-45 seconds for blooming before continuing with the rest of your pour.
What is the best temperature for pour over?
The ideal temperature for pour over is between 195-205 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a thermometer can help you accurately measure the temperature and ensure that your coffee will be at its best. Too hot or too cold of water can lead to an uneven extraction and bitter cup, so it’s important to be precise when measuring the temperature.
What is the best ratio for pour over coffee?
Generally, the ideal water to coffee ratio for pour over is 1:15 – that’s one gram of ground coffee per 15 grams of water. This can be adjusted based on your taste preference, but aim for a starting point of 1:15 and adjust from there.
Can you use drip coffee for pour over?
Yes, you can use pre-ground coffee for pour over, although it generally isn’t recommended. Pre-ground coffee is more likely to have lost some of its flavor and aroma from being exposed to the air, so it’s usually better to grind the beans yourself for maximum freshness.
Can you use a French press for pour over?
No, a French press cannot be used for pour over coffee. The two methods are quite different, so using a French press will not give you the same results as using a pour over device. If you are looking for an easy way to make coffee at home, a French press would be the better option.
How many types of pour over coffee are there?
There are several different types of pour over coffee, including V60, Kalita Wave, Chemex, and Melitta. Each has its own unique brewing method, so it’s important to experiment with each one to find the right fit for you. Different devices will also have an effect on the flavor of your coffee, so it’s a good idea to try different ones and see what works best.
Should pour over coffee be fast or slow?
The speed at which you pour the water over your coffee grounds will have an effect on the flavor of your cup. Pouring too quickly can lead to over-extraction and a bitter taste, while pouring too slowly can result in under-extraction and weak flavor. Aim for a steady and consistent flow that takes about 3 minutes from start to finish.
Can you reuse coffee grounds for pour over?
No, it’s not recommended to reuse coffee grounds for pour over. Reusing grounds will add more tannins and other compounds that can give your coffee a bitter taste. If you have any leftover grinds, discard them and use fresh grounds for your next cup.
Ultimately, choosing the right pour over coffee beans boils down to your personal preferences and tastes. Everyone’s individual palate will be different so it’s always a good idea to try several different kinds before you settle on one as your favorite. However, the five brands that have been reviewed in this blog post are among the best pour over coffee beans currently available on the market and could make for great starting points if you’re new to pouring over. Each of these provide delicious options produced by highly reputable companies known for their high-quality coffees.
Not only do these brands produce amazingly flavorful cups of joe, but their stories, commitment to sustainability and attention to detail when it comes to their roasting process makes them an excellent choice for any avid coffee enthusiast. If you’re looking for an exceptional pour-over brew look no further than our top 5 Best Pour Over Coffee Beans Reviews.
I am Chris Hines, a traditional chef with a focus on culinary culture. I teach cooking and enjoy exploring the origins of recipes and ingredients. I also work as a personal chef, catering to private events and families. My goal is to share my knowledge and passion for food with others, and help them create delicious, healthy meals for themselves and their loved ones.